Do you have a project that requires the installation of tiles? Then it goes without saying that a tile cutter is one of the tools that you will need for the best results. It can help you slice tiles into the recommended sizes and shapes to enable you to deliver the best installation results. When you want to buy a tile cutter, you will want to get the best cutter on the market. After all, selecting the wrong tiles cutter can lead to wastage of money and poor results since you might end up damaging all the tiles and waiting a lot of energy.
The task of getting the best cutter is not an easy task considering the lots of tile cutters available on the market. To help you make a fast and right choice, we have reviewed the top four tile cutters on the market to help you achieve professional installation results. Have a look and be sure to reduce the confusion about the tile cutters at your disposal.
A Quick Look at The Best Ceramic and Porcelain Tile Cutters
Difference Between a Tile Cutter and Tile Saw
When the need to cut tiles arises, some of us wonder whether to opt for a tile cutter or a tile saw. So what is the difference between the two?
A tile cutter is a manually operated tool that is very easy to use and does not require any power source. It cuts tiles by scratching a straight line across the surface of the tile and the applying pressure on both side of the tile to break it. They come in various sizes and are very lightweight.
A tile saw however, uses a diamond blade to cut the tile. What's more about tile saws is that they do generate a lot of heat while functioning, and thereby feature a water reservoir that sprays the blade and tile to keep them cool and also reduce dust. They are used for thick marble tiles.
Things to keep in mind when buying a tile cutter
1. Types of tiles to cut - What type of tiles do you expect to score using the tile cutter? Remember, tiles of different texture, and you will want a cutter that will help you to cut through it effortlessly. As such, determine if you want to cut ceramic, granite, porcelain, or marble. If the tile is quite thick and hard, you might want to use a motorized tile cutter and one with a bigger blade since this will let you do the job fast. On the other hand, for smooth and thin tiles, a manual tile cutter will help you do the job just fine.
2. Durability/ strength of the cutter - When getting a tiles cutter, you will want a solidly built unit that will not break or chip. After all, this is the only way to ensure that you have spent your money wisely. So, be on the lookout for a tile cutter that features quality materials both on the body and cutting wheel. You may also consider looking at the reviews of previous customers to get an idea if the cutter can withstand heavy duty tasks.
3. Stability - Will the tile cutter you get remain in place even when cutting many large and thick tiles? You will want to ensure that the tile cutter is stable enough since you do not want to damage the outcome of the tiles. So, check to ensure that the cutter features a reinforced base so that it won't slide of its place when in use.
4. Type of the tiles cutter - Note that you will come across two kinds of cutters when looking for a tile cutter. The manual and motorized cutter. For you to get the best value for money, you should consider the task ahead of you based on the nature of the tiles and the number of tiles to score. If the project ahead of you is quite large and when the tiles are big and thick, you might want a motorized motor since this will help you do the job fast.
5. Budget - What is the amount you have set aside to buy the tiles cutter and what is the price of the cutter? These two factors play a big role when trying to purchase this machine since this will be the final factor to determine the tile cutter you can afford to take back home. A quick tip to help you make the right decision is that, pay for the features you need. Remember the more the luxurious features the cutter includes, the more the price you will have to pay. So, spend for what that is necessary for the cutter to feature.
Review of the 4 Best Tile Cutters
Now let's check the reviews of the best ceramic and porcelain tile cutters. Please read the features of each cutter carefully to decide the best one you need.
Key Features of QEP 10900Q
- Straight edge adjustable measurement guide helps to align tiles for accurate cutting.
- A 7/8" titanium-coated tungsten carbide cutting wheel for smooth and durable scoring.
- Dual chrome-plated rugged steel rails and the liner ball bearing slides for an efficient cutting of big tiles.
- A high-leverage bicycle grip handle enhances a good grip and comfort.
As the best cutter in our review, this unit is manual and designed for use with porcelain and ceramic tiles. It adopts the simple Score and Snap process so that it can quickly rip and cut tiles diagonally. With it, you can cut porcelain tiles and ceramic tiles up to 35" and 24" diagonally. The cutter features a straight edge adjustable measurement guide.
This helps to align tiles to enhance an accurate cutting. What's more is a 7/8" titanium-coated tungsten carbide cutting wheel that enhances a smooth and durable scoring. You can use the cutter for scoring large tiles, thanks to the dual chrome-plated rugged steel rails and the liner ball bearing slides.
The cutter is designed to last for long, and remain stable while cutting. This is due to the broad aluminum alloy base and heavy-duty rubber pads that prevent it from slipping. As such, you can use the cutter for more substantial tiles without having to worry about it moving.
Additionally, you can get the cutter when you have a large number of tiles to cut. This is due to the high-leverage bicycle grip handle that ensures a good grip while enhancing your comfort even during long hours of cutting. The unit is easy to clean with compressed air, and you can use soap and water when needed.
Key Features of M-D 49047
- A heavy-duty aluminum base for durability and stability.
- An ergonomic sturdy handle enhances comfort.
- Chrome steel rails for a smooth scoring.
- Ball bearing carriage for a trouble-free operation.
- Product measures 33.8 x 10 x 9 inches and weighs 17.2 pounds.
- A sturdy carry bag for easy carrying and storage.
This is a 20" tile cutter perfect for cutting up to 20" square tiles with a 5/8" thickness. It measures 33.8 x 10 x 9 inches while it weighs 17.2 pounds. As such, it is not too big or too heavy, for you to handle. It features chrome steel rails that enhance a smooth scoring while increasing durability.
When using this cutter, you can be sure that it will remain stable through the whole cutting process. This is due to the heavy-duty aluminum base that makes it stable. Whats more is that the unit features an ergonomic handle design so that it is comfortable for you to use even during extended hours.
The tiles cutter comes with a carry bag to make it easy to maneuver and store. It also features a ball-bearing carriage that assures you of getting a smooth operation. You can get it when you want a heavy-duty tiles cutter at a reasonable price since it is durably made to resist cracking, chipping, and breakage.
Key Features of Brutus 10600BR
- Replaceable 7/8" titanium-coated tungsten carbide cutting wheel.
- High-leverage bicycle grip handle helps to reduce fatigue for easier cutting.
- Wide die-cast aluminum alloy base and heavy-duty rubber pads to enhance stability.
- Dual chrome-plated rails and ball bearing slides for smooth scoring.
- Sidearm extensions on the base to support large format tiles.
As one of the best ceramic and porcelain tile cutters, this is a multi-purpose tile cutter that can help you cut ceramic and porcelain tiles up to 24 inches, 18" diagonally and 1/2" thick. The cutter features a heavy-duty construction for long-lasting performance. It features a replaceable 7/8" titanium-coated tungsten carbide cutting wheel to enhance a smooth and durable scoring.
What's more is a high-leverage grip handle that helps to reduce fatigue. As such, you can use the cutter for heavy-duty tasks and be sure remain comfortable through the whole process. With this cutter, you can be sure to have a smooth scoring process due to its adjustable wheel that moves out of the way to enhance an easy snapping.
More to that is that you can use it to cut large and heavy tiles without worrying about it moving out of place. This is due to its wide die-cast aluminum alloy base that features heavy-duty rubber pads to prevent it from slipping out of place. The cutter cuts large tiles easily, due to the sidearm extensions on the base. It features dual chrome-plated rails and ball bearing slides to ensure smooth scoring.
Key Features of QEP 10214Q
- 1/2" replaceable tungsten carbide cutting wheel.
- An adjustable rip guide for easier and faster repetitive cuts.
- Dual chrome-plated steel rails for a smooth scoring.
- Rubber padded aluminum alloy breaker bar prevents damage to the tiles.
- Heavy-duty rubber pads on the base enhance stability. shifting.
When looking for a tile cutter for a DIY project, this ceramic and porcelain tile cutter makes a great choice. It cuts ceramic, and porcelain tiles that measure 14 inches, 10" diagonally and 1/2" thick. The cutter features a replaceable 1/2" tungsten carbide cutting wheel to enhance a smooth and durable scoring. Whats more are dual chrome-plated steel rails for a smooth scoring.
You can use the cutter when you need to make repetitive cuts easily and fast. This is due to the adjustable rip guide that leads you through the cutting process. Additionally, the cutter makes a perfect choice when you have a lot of tiles that need scoring since it features a high-leverage padded handle that helps to reduce fatigue, and as such keeping you comfortable during the whole process.
With this tile cutter, you can be sure to get the results you want since the rubber padded aluminum alloy breaker bar acts to prevent damage to the tiles. More to that, the cutter features heavy-duty rubber pads on the base that prevents it from shifting and thereby assuring you of benefiting from the maximum stability.
I hope that this review has been of great help to help you figure out the most appropriate cutter to get for your home improvement project. I recommend that you consider getting one of the reviewed products since these tile cutters are durable, reliable, stable, and ergonomically fit. Moreover, they come at reasonable prices to ensure that you only get the best value.